Sunday, October 7, 2007

Did you want ketchup with that?

Lucy's speech isn't the clearest, but I can usually understand her since I spend so much time with her. It can be a bit more of a challenge for Daddy, who sees her mainly on weekends.
My husband had Lucy at the commissary Friday, and while waiting in line to check out, Lucy looked up and said, "Hug-ie, Daddy". Daddy reached out and embraced her, and said, "I love you, too, sweetie!".
Once more, Lucy said, "Hug-ie, Daddy!" And as daddy embraced her again he thought to himself, what a wonderful child. What other kid of ours has ever been as sweet as Lucy?
A third time Lucy said, "Hug-ie, Daddy!"
As my husband reached out with a smile to hug her once more, Lucy stopped him and said, "NO, Daddy, I HUN-GIE!"
My husband paused for just a moment and suddenly realized what she had been saying: "Oh, Lucy, you're saying you are HUNGRY! (vigorous nods) What do you want to eat?"
"MacDonalds hamburger fries!" came the clearly understood reply!